- Interest Groups Politics of U.S. Health Care System
- Twitter, Instagram: @skostiaev
- 2009: Candidate of political sciences (Russian equivalent of PhD), the Institute for the US & Canadian studies, the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
- Dissertation: “Lobbying on U.S. Budget Process”
- 2007-2008 Doctoral fieldwork conducted in Washington, D.C., U.S.
- 2004: History Diploma with honors – Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- GPA 5.0 of 5.0
- Thesis: “Formation and Development of U.S. Federal Lobbying Regulation Laws”
Sergei Kostiaev is a student of interest groups and lobbying. His interests also include: American politics, Russian politics, U.S.-Russia relations, U.S. health care policy. He has been supported by various granting bodies – Fulbright program, Legislative fellows program, Russian Humanities Foundation, Russian Basic Science Foundation, etc. He has published in such journals as Journal of Public Affairs, Arab Studies Quarterly, World Economy and International Relations, USA-Canada: Economics, Politics, Culture, etc. He has been active in media (op-eds, quotes, TV appearances) – The Hill, The Daily Beast, Izvestia, Kommersant, Nezavisimaya Gazeta, Novye Izvestia, Expert, Vedomosti, Forbes.ru, Republic.ru, RBC, Novaya Gazeta, Radio Svoboda, 1st channel, NTV, Zvezda, RENTV, etc.
Teaching and TA Experience:
- 2017-present Political Science Department, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
- Grader for the Undergraduate course “American Presidency” Fall 2017
- Part-time lecturer for the undergraduate course “Interest Groups: Political Lobbying” Spring 2018
- 2014-17 Financial University under the Government of Russia, Moscow
- Acting Deputy Chair of the Department of Applied Political Science 2014-2016
- Associate Professor 2014-17
- Graduate course “Political & Economic Expertise”
- Undergraduate courses “Political Consulting and Expertise” and “Technology of Modern Lobbying”
- 2010-11 Adjunct Lecturer, Diplomatic Academy, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia, Moscow
- Undergraduate and graduate versions of course “Lobbying in World Politics”
- 2009 Adjunct Lecturer, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow
- Undergraduate research seminar “American Lobbying”
- 2009-10 Adjunct Lecturer, Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas, Moscow
- Undergraduate and graduate versions of course “Lobbying in Politics”
- 2006 Adjunct Lecturer, the State University of Humanities, Moscow
- Undergraduate course “World History”
- 2005-06 Adjunct Lecturer, the State University – Higher School of Economics, Moscow
- Undergraduate and graduate versions of course “Lobbying: Models & Techniques”
- Undergraduate course “Corporations in Public Policy”
- Undergraduate course “Introduction to Political Science”