Interim Director, Urban Planning and Policy Development Program
- Room 460, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2799
- Urban change
- Housing finance
- Economic development
Kathe Newman is an Associate Professor in the Urban Planning and Policy Development Program at the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy and Director of the Ralph W. Voorhees Center for Civic Engagement. Dr. Newman holds a Ph.D. in Political Science from the Graduate School and University Center at the City University of New York. Her research explores urban change, what it is, why it happens, and what it means. Her research has explored gentrification, foreclosure, urban redevelopment, food security, community economic development and community participation. Dr. Newman has published articles in Urban Studies, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Urban Affairs Review, Shelterforce, Progress in Human Geography, Housing Studies, GeoJournal, and Environment and Planning A and is currently co-authoring a book with J. Philip Thompson and Ross Gittell on Community Based Organizations for Sage Publications.
- Urban Revitalization
- Voorhees Fellows Studio
- Community Development Studio
- Urban Redevelopment
- Housing Economics and Markets
- Urban Political Theory
- Financialization and the City
Articles in Refereed Journals
- 2018: Rosenthal, Amy and Newman, Kathe. “Beyond the Shadow State: Governing the Public Private Food Assistance System.” Urban Affairs Review. First published March 20, 2018.
- 2015 Newman, Kathe. “Globalization of Finance and the Future of Home Mortgage Finance.” Housing Policy Debate. 25 5:789-791.
Chapters in Books or Monographs
- 2016: Newman, Kathe. Community Development in the Age of Obama. in James DeFilippis. Urban Policy in the Age of Obama.
- 2017: Cuite, Cara, Royals, Erin and Newman, Kathe. New Brunswick Food System Action Plan. Working Together for a Food Secure New Brunswick. February.
- 2017: Newman, Kathe, Cuite, Cara, and Erin Royals. Ed. New Brunswick Community Food Assessment: Working Together for a Food Secure New Brunswick. Ralph W. Voorhees Center for Civic Engagement. New Brunswick: Ralph W. Voorhees Center for Civic Engagement. 150p. August.
- 2016: Newman, Kathe, Cuite, Cara and Ralph W. Voorhees Public Service Fellows. New Brunswick’s Food Pantry System. A Report to Feeding New Brunswick Network and the New Brunswick Community Food Alliance.
- 2015: Cuite, Cara, Newman, Kathe and Dixon, Sarah. Farmers Markets and CSAs in New Brunswick. New Brunswick Community Food Assessment White Paper Series. Ralph W. Voorhees Center for Civic Engagement.
- 2015: Kathe Newman, Deborah Plotnik and the New Brunswick Community Garden Coalition. Urban Agriculture and Community Gardens in New Brunswick. New Brunswick Community Food Assessment White Paper Series. Ralph W. Voorhees Center for Civic Engagement.
- 2015: Newman, Kathe and Cuite, Cara. SNAP and WIC in New Brunswick: New Brunswick Community Food Assessment White Paper Series. New Brunswick: Ralph W. Voorhees Center for Civic Engagement.
- 2015: Kathe Newman, Lisanne Finston, Anne Bellows and Heather Fenyk. Community Food Security in New Brunswick: An Organizational History. New Brunswick Community Food Assessment White Paper Series. New Brunswick: Ralph W. Voorhees Center for Civic Engagement.
Areas of Expertise: Community Based Research, Community Development, Housing, Housing Finance, Land Use,Neighborhood Planning, Planning Theory, Political Institutions, Qualitative Research, Social Policy/Inequality and Disparities