Meredeth Turshen is a Professor Emeritus in the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University. Her research interests include international health and she specializes in public health policy. She has written four books, The Political Ecology of Disease in Tanzania (1984), The Politics of Public Health (1989), andPrivatizing Health Services in Africa (1999), all published by Rutgers University Press, and Women’s Health Movements: A Global Force for Change (2007) published by Palgrave Macmillan; she has edited six other books, Women and Health in Africa (Africa World Press, 1991), Women’s Lives and Public Policy: The International Experience(Greenwood, 1993), What Women Do in Wartime: Gender and Conflict in Africa (Zed Books, 1998), which was translated into French (L’Harmattan, 2001), African Women’s Health (Africa World Press, 2000) , The Aftermath: Women in Postconflict Transformation (Zed Books, 2002), and African Women: A political economy (Palgrave Macmillan, 2010). She has served on the boards of the Association of Concerned Africa Scholars, the Committee for Health in Southern Africa, and the Review of African Political Economy, and is on the editorial board of the Journal of Public Health Policy.
- 2020: Turshen, Meredeth. Women’s Health Movements: A Global Force for Change. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2020 second edition
2016: Turshen, Meredeth. Gender and the Political Economy of Conflict in Africa: The Persistence of Violence. London: Routledge, 2016
Chapters in Books or Monographs
- 2019: Turshen, M. “Violence against women in the new African wars,” in War and Sexual Violence, edited by Frank Jacob and Sarah K Danielsson (Paderborn, Germany: Schöningh; Chicago: University of Chicago Press), 2019.
- 2018: Schneider D and Turshen M. “Political and Social Violence: Health Effects”. In: Encyclopedia of Environmental Health, 2nd ed, J Nriagu, Ed. Oxford, U.K.: Elsevier. Updated throughout. from the 2014 edition.
- 2015: “The Political Economy of War: What Women Need to Know”, in Sexual Violence in Conflict and Post-Conflict Societies: International Agendas and African Contexts, edited by Doris Buss, Joanne Lebert, Blair Rutherford, and Obi Aginam to be published by UN University Press, Tokyo, 8-1-2014
- 2014: Schneider D., and Turshen M., Political and Social Violence: Health Effects, Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences, Elsevier, 2014. 05-Feb-14 doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-409548-9.09048-5
Articles in Refereed Journals
- 2016: Turshen, Meredeth. Kongo Majesty, European Savagery, Review of African Political Economy, http://roape.net/2016/02/09/kongo-majesty-european-savagery/
- 2016: Turshen, Meredeth Congo Binga: Notes on Burri’s Grande Sacco, Review of African Political Economy, http://roape.net/2016/03/16/congo-binga-notes-on-burris-grande-sacco/
- 2014: “A Global Partnership for Development and Other Unfulfilled Promises of the Millennium Project” Third World Quarterly 2014, 35(3)
Electronic Publications, Refereed
- 2015: “Women, War and Peace in Africa: A Reflection on the Past 20 Years.” UNRISD, Let’s talk women’s rights: 20 years after the Beijing Platform for Action, March 2015 http://www.unrisd.org/beijing+20-thinkpieces
- 2014: Review of “Your Pocket is what Cures You: The politics of health in Senegal” by Ellen E. Foley, Rutgers University Press, in Canadian Journal of African Studies, 2014, 48(1)