ProfessorB.Sc., Nottingham University; Dip.Ed., Oxford University; M.A. and Ph.D., University of Colorado
- Room 534, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2379
- Urban Geography
- Societal Impacts of the World Wide Web
Briavel Holcomb is Professor in the Bloustein School and former Director of the Humphrey Program. She is a geographer whose recent research focuses on tourism and on the internet. She has been a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Malta and a visiting professor at the University of Exeter (UK), the New School (NY), the University of Colorado, and the University of Pittsburgh’s Semester at Sea program. She was elected to the Council’s of the Association of American Geographers and the American Geographical Society and was President of the Middle States Region of the AAG. She has served on the editorial boards of The Annals of American Geography, The Professional Geographer, Focus, and Urban Affairs Review. Her publications include three books and numerous articles and book chapters. Dr. Holcomb was the recipient of the 2012 Association of American Geographers Distinguished Teaching Honors, and has twice sailed around the world teaching on Semester at Sea.
- Tourism Planning
- The Urban World
- Tourism Planning
Chapters in Books or Monographs
- 2011: “Zaha Hadid” The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today’s World. M.Z Strange, C. Oyster and G. Golson eds. Sage.
- 2012: “Man in Kobe” Toothbrush People: American College Students’ Personal Experiences with Poverty, Inequalities, Humility and Kindness. Don Gogniat and Valerie White (eds). Wolf. 2012
- 2011: ‘Women in Urban Planning,” “Women in Architecture” and “Women in Iran” The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today’s World. M.Z Strange, C.Oyster and G.Golson eds. Sage, March 2011
- 2010: Symbolism and Place. Encyclopedia of Geography. Barney Warf (ed). Sage.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- 2014: Selling New Jersey for Tourism after Sandy. Public Administration Times. patimes.org August.
- 2013: “Mobile Technologies and youthful exploration: Stimulus or Inhibitor?” Urban Studies, 50 (3) pp.587-605. With Michael Leyshon and Sean DiGiovanna.
- 2015: The Urban Wisdom of Jane Jacobs Ed. Sonia Hirt. AAG Review of Books. Online.
- 2013: Our House in the Clouds: Building a Second Life in the Andes of Ecuador by Judy Blankenship in Latin American Geography Vol 12.
- 2012: Curiosity, Inquiry, and the Geographical Imagination by Daniel W. Gade. Latin American Geography. Vol 11.