B.S. (Engineering), Rutgers College; M.C.R.P. and Ph.D., Rutgers University
Dean Emeritus, Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
Senior Faculty Fellow, John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development
Senior Research Scientist, Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation (CAIT), Rutgers School of Engineering
- John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development, 30 Livingston Avenue, Room 311
- (848) 932-2827
- Demographics and Housing
- Regional and New Jersey Economics
- Development Patterns and Transportation
Dr. James W. Hughes is University Professor and the former Dean (1995-2017) of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. He is also the Director of the Rutgers Regional Report, which has produced over 40 major economic, demographic, and real estate studies on New Jersey and the broader metropolitan region during its 28-year tenure.
He is a nationally-recognized academic expert on demographics, housing, and regional economics. He is author or co-author of 34 books and monographs and more than 150 articles. Among his major jointly-authored books are New Brunswick, New Jersey: The Decline and Revitalization of Urban America and New Jersey’s Postsuburban Economy, both published by the Rutgers University Press, and The Atlantic City Gamble, published by the Harvard University Press. He current is writing a book on New Jersey’s demographics (to be published by the Rutgers University Press). He was also a contributing editor to the magazine American Demographics for 14 years.
Among his recent awards are the Distinguished Service Award, and the Lifetime Achievement and Leadership in Planning Award, both of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association (The chapter also established a new planning award recognizing and celebrating Hughes’ legacy: the James W. Hughes Applied Research Award), the Rutgers School of Engineering (SOE) Medal of Excellence, the Distinguished Service Award of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities, the Warren Hill Award of the New Jersey Bankers Association, the Cary Edwards Leadership Award by New Jersey Future, the Exemplary Achievement in Civic Leadership Award of the Urban Land Institute (NNJ), the Rutgers’ Richard P. McCormick Award for Excellence in Alumni Leadership, the Rutgers Presidential Award for Distinguished Public Service, and the Achievement in Planning Award of the New Jersey Planning Officials. Dean Hughes has been both a Woodrow Wilson and Ford Foundation Fellow and was a Distinguished Fellow of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.
Dean Hughes has provided extensive budgetary and economic testimony before many New Jersey State Legislative committees, and has provided numerous policy briefings both in Washington and Trenton on demographics, housing and the economy. He has served on numerous commissions and task forces, including NJ Governor’s Commission on Jobs, Growth and Economic Development, the Economic Advisors Board of the Council of the City of New York, the NJ Governor’s World Class Economy Task Force, and the NJ Governor’s Property Tax Commission. Dean Hughes was previously on the corporate boards of the E’Town Corporation and the Cali Real Estate Investment Trust, and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Cooperative Housing Foundation in Washington, D.C.
Dean Hughes is a military veteran who served as an artillery officer in the U.S. Army.
Download Jim Hughes’ bio (.doc) updated February 2018
Download Dean Hughes photo (high resolution) Credit: Photo by Larry Levanti
(please be sure to check with Marcia Hannigan for the correct file!)
- New Brunswick Presentation 2-1-13 (PDF)
- CNJG Economic Pictures 5-17-12 (PDF)
- CNJG Economic Overview 5-17-12 (PDF)
- Leadership Hunterdon 12-16-11 (PPT)
- Leadership Hunterdon Economic Pictures (PPT)
- C-Suite Presentation 5-22-12 (PPT, with animation)
- C-Suite Presentation 5-22-12 (PDF)
- 2018: Hughes, J. W., Weiner, M.D. & Iacobucci, E. (2018). NJBankers 2017-18 Economic Survey: Final Analysis and Report of Survey Results (May). Retrieved from https://doi.org/doi:10.7282/T3C53Q6R.
- 2016: Hughes, J. W. & Weiner, M.D. (2016). NJBankers 2015-16 Economic Survey: Final Analysis and Report of Survey Results (January). Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.7282/T3FB550J
- 2014: Hughes, James W., and Seneca, Joseph J. New Jersey’s Postsuburban Economy Rutgers University Press.
- “The Economy,” Maxine N. Lurie & Peter O. Wacker, eds, Mapping New Jersey: An Evolving Landscape (New Brunswick: Rivergate Books, 2009)
- “Tri-State Affluence: Losing by Winning” STATE TAX NOTES, Current & Quotable, Volume 34, Number 9, 2004
- “Housing Bubble or Rational Price Appreciation” APPRAISAL JOURNAL, Volume LXXII, Number 3, Summer 2004
- “The New York Region’s Post-September 11 Economic Geography,” Transportation Quarterly, Fall 2002
- America’s Demographic Tapestry: Baseline for the New Millennium (Rutgers University Press, 1999)