M.P.H., Western Kentucky; Ph.D. Health Services Research, Administration, and Policy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Public Health
- Room 255, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2758
- soumitra.bhuyan [at] rutgers.edu
- Twitter: @Prof_Bhuyan
- chronic disease management
- health information systems
- population health
Soumitra Bhuyan, Ph.D., MPH, is an Associate Professor at the Bloustein School. His primary teaching and research interests include chronic disease management and health information systems with an overarching emphasis on population health. Dr. Bhuyan was a Fellow of the Rutgers Leadership Academy (2021-2022).
Dr. Bhuyan has published more than 40 peer-reviewed journal articles as a first author or co-author. Apart from academic writing, Dr. Bhuyan’s writing has appeared in various regional and national news outlets such as The Hill, ABC News, Becker’s Hospital Review, The Star-Ledger, etc. Dr. Bhuyan is an Associate Editor of BMJ Global Health (2016- ) and serves on the editorial boards of The Journal of Health Administration Education (2022-2025), the flagship journal of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration and Hospital Topics.
Dr. Bhuyan has received several awards from national organizations, including the American Public Health Association and AcademyHealth, for his research and leadership activities. Dr. Bhuyan and colleagues received the 2017 Charles E. Gibbs Leadership Prize for their research in women’s health issues, which is awarded annually to recognize excellence in research on women’s health care or policy. He was the recipient of the “Rising Star” award from the American Public Health Association Health Administration Section, which recognizes the outstanding potential in health administration and public health practice.
Dr. Bhuyan is currently serving as an accreditation fellow for the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). The program is designed for individuals with the potential to make significant contributions to health services administration education. Dr. Bhuyan is also a member of the CAHME Standards Council. The council oversees the accreditation processes and makes recommendations to the Board of Directors on accreditation decisions.
Complete Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Population Health
- Principles of Health Administration
- Professional Development Seminar
- Healthcare Consulting
- Professional Practicum
- Population Health
Recent PublicationsView all publications on Google Scholar
- 2023: Saurabh Kalra, Deepak Kalra, Irina Grafova, Julia Sass Rubin, Alan Monheit, Joel Cantor, Paul Duberstein, Soumitra S. Bhuyan, 2023. “Association of death or illness from COVID-19 among family and friends on vaccine uptake within four months of the Emergency Use Authorization. Findings from a national survey in the United States, Vaccine, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2023.01.024.
- 2022: Tarimo CS, Bhuyan SS, Zhao Y, Ren W, Mohammed A, Li Q, Gardner M, Mahande MJ, Wu J. Prediction of low Apgar score at five minutes following labor induction intervention in vaginal deliveries: Machine learning approach for imbalanced data at a tertiary hospital in north Tanzania. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 22 (1), 1-14
- 2021: Tarimo CS, Bhuyan SS, Li Q, Ren W, Mahande MJ, Wu J. Combining Resampling Strategies and Ensemble Machine Learning Methods to Enhance Prediction of Neonates with a Low Apgar Score After Induction of Labor in Northern Tanzania. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2021; 14:3711-3720
- 2021: Kedia SK, Dillon PJ, Jiang Y, James W, Collins AC, Bhuyan SS. The association between substance use and violence: results from a nationally representative sample of high school students in the United States. Community Ment Health J. 2021 Feb; 57:294-306.
- 2021: Tarimo CS, Bhuyan SS, Li Q, Mahande MJ, Wu J, Fu X. Validating machine learning models for the prediction of labour induction intervention using routine data: a registry-based retrospective cohort study at a tertiary hospital in northern Tanzania. BMJ open. 2021 Dec 1;11(12): e051925.
- 2021: Wu J, Li Q, Feng Y, Bhuyan SS, Tarimo CS, Zeng X, Wu C, Chen N, Miao Y. Active commuting and the risk of obesity, hypertension, and diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. BMJ Glob Health. 2021 Jun 1;6(6): e005838.
- 2020: Bhuyan SS, Kabir UY, Escareno JM, Ector K, Palakodeti S, Wyant D, Kumar S, Levy M, Kedia S, Dasgupta D, Dobalian A. Transforming healthcare cybersecurity from reactive to proactive: current status and future recommendations. J Med Syst. 2020 May; 44:1-9.
- 2020: Bhuyan SS, Deoli A. The challenges of hospital contracting in the era of value-based purchasing. MD Advis. 2020 Summer;13(3):17-19.
- 2020: Kabir U, Askew A, Jiang Y, Bhuyan SS, Ezekekwu E, Dobalian A. Moderate psychological distress as a barrier to breast cancer screening among women. J Hosp Admin. 2020 Jul 3;9(4).
- 2020: Kabir UY, Ezekekwu E, Bhuyan SS, Mahmood A, Dobalian A. Trends and best practices in health care cybersecurity insurance policy. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2020 Oct;40(2):10-4.
- 2020: Phelps GA, Qiao Y, Buckley MG, Wang J, Li MS, Bhuyan SS, Chisholm-Burns MA. Effects of the 2013 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines on racial and ethnic disparities in statin treatment among diabetics. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2020 Apr 1;16(4):544-52.
- 2020: Mahmood A, Wyant DK, Kedia S, Ahn S, Powell MP, Jiang Y, Bhuyan SS. Self-check-in kiosks utilization and their association with wait times in emergency departments in the United States. J Emerg Med. 2020 May 1;58(5):829-40.
- 2020: Wu J, Bhuyan SS, Fu X. Enhancing global health engagement in 21st century China. BMJ Glob Health [Internet]. 2020 Mar 19;5(3): e002194.
- 2020: Joshi A, Kajal F, Bhuyan SS, Sharma P, Bhatt A, Kumar K, Kaur M, Arora A. Quality of novel coronavirus related health information over the Internet: an evaluation study. Sci. World J. 2020 Aug 6;2020.
- 2019: Mahmood A, Mosalpuria K, Wyant DK, Bhuyan SS. Association between having a regular health provider and access to services linked to electronic health records. Hosp Top. 2019 Jan;97(1):1-10.
- 2019: Kim H, Mahmood A, Carlton E, Goldsmith J, Chang C, Bhuyan SS. Access to personal health records and screening for breast and cervical cancer among women with a family history of cancer. J Cancer Educ. 2019 Jul; 1:1-7.
- 2019: Mahmood A, Kedia S, Wyant DK, Ahn S, Bhuyan SS. Use of mobile health applications for health-promoting behavior among individuals with chronic medical conditions. Digit. Health. 2019 Oct; 5:2055207619882181. eCollection Jan-Dec 2019. 17 p.
- 2019: Kim H, Goldsmith JV, Sengupta S, Mahmood A, Powell MP, Bhatt J, Chang CF, Bhuyan SS. Mobile health application and e-health literacy: opportunities and concerns for cancer patients and caregivers. J Cancer Educ. 2019 Feb 1;34(1):3-8.
- 2018: Opoku ST, Apenteng BA, Akowuah EA, Bhuyan SS. Disparities in emergency department wait time among patients with mental health and Substance-related disorders. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2018 Apr 1;45(2):204-18.
- 2018: Bhuyan SS, Shiyanbola O, Deka P, Isehunwa OO, Chandak A, Huang S, Wang Y, Bhatt J, Ning L, Lin WJ, Wyant D. The role of gender in cost-related medication nonadherence among patients with diabetes. J Am Board Fam Med. 2018 Sep 1;31(5):743-51.
- 2018: Desmond EI, Bhuyan SS, Bain LE. Zika Virus infection and microcephaly: anxiety burden for women. Pan Afr Med J. 2018 Mar 5;30.• 2017: Bhuyan SS, Chandak A, Gupta N, Isharwal S, LaGrange C, Mahmood A, Gentry D. Patient–provider communication about prostate cancer screening and treatment: new evidence from the Health Information National Trends Survey. Am J Mens Health. 2017 Jan;11(1):134-46.
- 2017: Bhuyan SS, Shiyanbola O, Kedia S, Chandak A, Wang Y, Isehunwa OO, Anunobi N, Ebuenyi I, Deka P, Ahn S, Chang CF. Does cost-related medication nonadherence among cardiovascular disease patients vary by gender? Evidence from a nationally representative sample. Women’s Health Issues. 2017 Feb 28;27(1):108-15.
- 2017: Kim H, Powell MP, Bhuyan SS. Seeking medical information using mobile apps and the Internet: Are family caregivers different from the general public? J Med Syst. 2017 Mar 1;41(3): 38.
- 2017: Pai M, Bhoumick S, Bhuyan SS. India’s plan to eliminate tuberculosis by 2025: converting rhetoric into reality. BMJ Glob Health [Internet]. 2017 Mar;2: e0003262017.
- 2017: Bhuyan SS, Chandak A, Gupta N, Wyant DK, Kim J, Bhatt J, Singh A, Gilmore S, Ahn S, Chang CF. Provision of rehabilitation services in residential care facilities: evidence from a national survey. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017 Jun 1;98 (6):1203-9.
- 2017: Kim J, Young L, Bekmuratova S, Schober DJ, Wang H, Roy S, Bhuyan SS, Schumaker A, Chen LW. Promoting colorectal cancer screening through a new model of delivering rural primary care in the USA: a qualitative study. Rural Remote Health [Internet]. 2017 Mar 29;17(4187).
- 2017: Bhuyan SS, Kim H, Isehunwa OO, Kumar N, Bhatt J, Wyant DK, Kedia S, Chang CF, Dasgupta D. Privacy and security issues in mobile health: current research and future directions. Health Policy Technol. 2017 Jun 1;6(2):188-91.
- 2017: Isehunwa OO, Carlton EL, Wang Y, Jiang Y, Kedia S, Chang CF, Fijabi D, Bhuyan SS. Access to employee wellness programs and use of preventive care services among US adults. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Dec 1;53(6):854-65.
- 2016: Bhuyan SS, Saha A, Bhatt J. Reducing emergency department use requires interventions at multiple levels. Am J Emerg Med. 2016 Jun;34(6):1175-6.
- 2016: Bhuyan SS, Ebuenyi I, Bhatt J. Persisting trend in the breach of medical neutrality: a wake-up call to the international community. BMJ Glob Health [Internet]. 2016 Nov 22;1(3).
- 2016: Bhuyan SS, Bailey-DeLeeuw S, Wyant DK, Chang CF. Too much or too little? How much control should patients have over EHR data? J Med Syst. 2016 Jul 1; 40(7):1-4.
- 2016: Bhuyan SS, Lu N, Chandak A, Kim H, Wyant D, Bhatt J, Kedia S, Chang CF. Use of mobile health applications for health-seeking behavior among US adults. J of Med Syst. 2016 40(6):1-8
- 2016: Bhuyan SS, Wang Y, Bhatt J, Dismuke SE, Carlton EL, Gentry D, LaGrange C, Chang CF. Paid sick leave is associated with fewer ED visits among US private sector working adults. Am J Emerg Med. 2016 May 1;34(5):784-9.
- 2015: Bhuyan SS, Chandak A, Powell MP, Kim J, Shiyanbola O, Zhu H, Shiyanbola O. Use of information technology for medication management in residential care facilities: correlates of facility characteristics. J Med Syst. 2015 Jun;39(6):1-8.
- 2015: Liu T, Li X, You S, Bhuyan SS, Dong L. Effectiveness of AMD3100 in treatment of leukemia and solid tumors: from original discovery to use in current clinical practice. Exp Hematol Oncol. 2015 Dec;5(1):1-11.
- 2015: Bhuyan SS, Chandak A, Smith P, Carlton EL, Kenric D, Gentry D. Integration of public health and primary care: a systematic review of the current literature in primary care physician mediated childhood obesity interventions. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2015 Nov;9(6), pp.539-552.
- 2014: Bhuyan SS, Zhu H, Chandak A, Kim J, Stimpson JP. Do service innovations influence the adoption of electronic health records in long-term care organizations? Results from the US national survey of residential care facilities. Int J Med Inform. 2014 Dec;83(12): 975-82.
- 2014: Bhuyan SS, Stimpson J, Rajaram S, Lin G. Mortality outcome among medically underserved women screened through a publicly funded breast cancer control program. 1997–2007. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014 Jul;146(1): 221-7.
- 2013: Bhuyan SS, Wang Y, Opoku S, Lin G. Rural-Urban Difference in acute myocardial infraction mortality: evidence from Nebraska. J Cardiovasc Dis Res. 2013 Dec;4(4), 209-213.
- 2012: Chen HY, Chu H, Shi Y, Bhuyan SS, Li JP, Liu SR, Yang J. Association between endothelialnitric oxide synthase polymorphisms and atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2012 Aug;5(4):528-34.
- 2012: Chu H, Yang J, Mi S, Bhuyan SS, Li J, Zhong L, Liu S, Tao Z, Li J, Chen H. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha G-308: a polymorphism and risk of coronary heart disease and myocardial infraction: a case-control study and meta-analysis. J Cardiovasc Dis Res. 2012; 3:84-90.
- 2007: Cai Z, Hu X, Zhou F, Han Y, Bhuyan SS, Li XY. Experimental studies of metronomic chemotherapy with docetaxel followed by dexamethasone on tumor growth and angiogenesis on mouse Lewi’s lung carcinoma model. Central Plain Medical Journal. 2007;34(8):5-7
Areas of Expertise: Chronic Disease Management, Global Health, Health Economics, Health Information Systems, Health Policy