M.P.H., Western Kentucky; Ph.D. Health Services Research, Administration, and Policy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Public Health
Soumitra Bhuyan, PhD, MPH is an Assistant Professor in Bloustein School. His primary teaching and research interests include chronic disease management, health information systems with an overarching emphasis on population health. Dr. Bhuyan has received several awards from national organizations including the American Public Health Association, AcademyHealth for his research and leadership activities.
Dr. Bhuyan and colleagues received the 2017 Charles E. Gibbs Leadership Prize for their research in women’s health issues. The Charles E. Gibbs Leadership Prize is awarded annually to recognize excellence in research on women’s health care or policy. He was the recipient of the “Rising Star” award from the American Public Health Association (APHA) Health Administration Section in 2013, which recognizes the outstanding potential in the field of health administration and public health practice. Dr. Bhuyan is as an Associate Editor of British Medical Journal Global Health.
Complete Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Population Health
Recent PublicationsView all publications on Google Scholar
- 2019: Phelps G, Qiao Y, Buckley M, Minghui L, Bhuyan SS, Chisholm-Burns M, Wang JL. “Effects of the 2013 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Guidelines on Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Statin Treatment among Diabetics.” Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy (Accepted)
- 2019: Mahmood A, Mosalpuria K, Wyant DK, Bhuyan SS. “Association between Having a Regular Health Provider and Access to Services Linked to Electronic Health Records.” Hospital Topics. 2019 Jan 29:1-0.
- 2019: Kim H, Goldsmith JV, Sengupta S, Mahmood A, Powell MP, Bhatt J, Chang CF, Bhuyan SS*. “Mobile Health Application and e-Health Literacy: Opportunities and Concerns for Cancer Patients and Caregivers.” Journal of Cancer Education. 2019:1-7
- 2018: Bhuyan SS*, Shiyanbola O, Deka P, Isenhunwa OO, Chandak A, Huang S, Wang Y, Bhatt J, Ning L, Lin W, Wyant D, Kedia S, Chang CF. “The Role of Gender in Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence Among Patients with Diabetes.” Journal of American Board of Family Medicine 2018 31 (5)
- 2017: Opoku ST, Apenteng BA, Akowuah EA, Bhuyan SS. “Disparities in Emergency Department Wait Time Among Patients with Mental Health and Substance-Related Disorders.” The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. 2017 Aug 16:1-5.
- 2018: Desmond EI, Bhuyan SS, Bain LE. “Zika Virus infection and microcephaly: anxiety burden for women.” The Pan African Medical Journal. 2018;30.
- 2017: Isehunwa OO, Carlton EL, Wang Y, Jiang Y, Kedia S, Chang CF, Fijabi D, Bhuyan SS*. “Access to Employee Wellness Programs and Use of Preventive Care Services Among US Adults.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2017 Dec 1; 53(6): 854-65.
- 2017: Bhuyan SS, Kim H, Isehunwa OO, Kumar N, Bhatt J, Wyant DK, Kedia S, Chang CF, Dasgupta D. “Privacy and security issues in mobile health: Current research and future directions.” Health Policy and Technology. 2017 Jun 1;6(2):188-91.
- 2017: Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Gupta N, Wyant DK, Kim J, Bhatt J, Singh A, Gilmore S, Ahn S, Chang CF. “Provision of Rehabilitation Services in Residential Care Facilities: Evidence From a National Survey.” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2017 Jun 1; 98 (6):1203-9.
- 2017: Pai M, Bhoumick S, Bhuyan SS. “India’s plan to eliminate tuberculosis by 2025: converting rhetoric into reality.” British Medical Journal Global Health. 2017
- 2017: Kim H, Powell MP, Bhuyan SS*. “Seeking Medical Information Using Mobile Apps and the Internet: Are Family Caregivers Different from the General Public?” Journal of Medical Systems. 2017 Mar 1; 41(3): 38.
- 2017: Kim J, Young L, Bekmuratova S, Schober DJ, Wang H, Roy S, Bhuyan SS, Schumaker A, Chen LW. “Promoting colorectal cancer screening through a new model of delivering rural primary care in the USA: a qualitative study.” Rural and Remote Health. 2017 Mar 29; 17(4187).
- 2017: Bhuyan SS*, Shiyanbola O, Kedia S, Chandak A, Wang Y, Isehunwa OO, Anunobi N, Ebuenyi I, Deka P, Ahn S, Chang CF. “Does Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence among Cardiovascular Disease Patients Vary by Gender? Evidence from a Nationally Representative Sample.” Women’s Health Issues. 2017 Feb 28; 27(1):108-15.
- 2016: Bhuyan SS*, Ebuenyi I, Bhatt J. “Persisting trend in the breach of medical neutrality: a wake-up call to the international community.” British Medical Journal Global Health (Editorial). November 22, 1 (3) e000109; DOI: 10.1136/bmjgh-2016-000109 16
- 2016: Bhuyan SS*, Bailey-DeLeeuw S, Wyant DK, Chang CF. “Too Much or Too Little? How Much Control Should Patients Have Over EHR Data?” Journal of Medical Systems. 2016 Jul 1; 40(7):1-4.
- 2016: Bhuyan SS*, Saha A, Bhatt J. “Reducing Emergency Department Use Requires Interventions at Multiple Levels.” The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2016 Mar 30.
- 2016: Bhuyan SS*, Wang Y, Bhatt J, Dismuke SE, Carlton EL, Gentry D, LaGrange C, Chang CF. “Paid sick leave is associated with fewer ED visits among US private sector working adults.” The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2016 May 31; 34(5):784-9.
- 2016: Bhuyan SS*, Lu N, Chandak A, Kim H, Wyant D, Bhatt J, Kedia S, Chang CF. (2016) “Use of Mobile Health Applications for Health-Seeking Behavior among US Adults. Journal of Medical Systems. 2016 40 (6), 1-8
- 2015: Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Gupta N, Isharwal S, LaGrange C, Mahmood A, Gentry D. “Patient-Provider Communication About Prostate Cancer Screening and Treatment New Evidence from the Health Information National Trends Survey.” American Journal of Men’s Health. 2015 Nov 26:1557988315614082.
- 2015: Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Smith P, Carlton EL, Kenric D, Gentry D. (2015). “Integration of Public Health and Primary Care: A Systematic Review of the Current Literature in Primary Care Physician Mediated Childhood Obesity Interventions.” Obesity and Clinical Practice 9(6), pp.539-552.
- 2015: Bhuyan SS*, Chandak A, Powell MP, Kim JY, Shiyanbola O, Zhu H, Shiyanbola O. (2015) “Use of Information Technology for Medication Management in Residential Care Facilities: Correlates of Facility Characteristics.” Journal of Medical Systems. 2015 May: 39:70
- 2014: Bhuyan SS*, Zhu H, Chandak A, Kim J, Stimpson JP. (2014). “Do service innovations influence the adoption of electronic health records in long-term care organizations? Results from the US National Survey of Residential Care Facilities.” International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2014 Dec; 83(12): 975-82.
- 2014: Bhuyan SS, Stimpson J, Rajaram S, Lin G. (2014) “Mortality outcome among medically underserved women screened through a publicly funded breast cancer control program, 1997–2007.” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2014 Jul; 146(1): 221-7.
- 2013: Bhuyan SS, Wang Y, Opoku S, Lin G. (2013) “Rural-Urban Difference in Acute Myocardial Infraction Mortality: Evidence from Nebraska.” Journal of Cardiovascular Disease Research, 4(4), 209-213.
Indicates students * Indicates corresponding author