Communications and Media Relations Contact
Director of Communications and Senior Public Relations Specialist
Room 384, Civic Square Building
The Bloustein School’s Communications department helps to promote the school as well as assist faculty, staff, and students with Rutgers guidelines. Among many responsibilities, the office serves as the liaison with the Rutgers University Media Relations Office, assists with obtaining editorial, design, and photography needs, manages the content of the Bloustein School’s official academic and promotional publications, the school’s website and key social media sites, and the release of Bloustein School news and other information.
Bloustein School faculty are available to speak with the media upon request. If you are a reporter, writer, editor or other media representative seeking an academic expert or other assistance, please contact Karyn Olsen or Megan Schuman, Senior Public Relations Specialist, Rutgers Communications and Marketing (R-Comm), 848-445-1907.
If you are planning an event directly related to the Bloustein School, you should first work with Bloustein School Events and Facilities Management to secure the date and space. Once logistics are in place, please email Karyn Olsen, Director of Communications, with the event specifics so they may be included on the Bloustein School calendar, Rutgers University calendar, and the Bloustein School Weekly Events email (distributed to faculty, staff, and students at the Bloustein School only.) If your event has a wider scope requiring additional attention such as external advertising or press releases, or that may attract media attention, we recommend that you contact the office as early in the process as possible.
Print and Publications
The Bloustein School is committed to helping you create publications that engage and inform your various audiences and that effectively promote the school and university. The communications department has a limited capability to assist with the production of brochures, booklets, posters, and advertising for specific projects or events, but is happy to help identify vendors that may be able to help with your projects or help with printing, distribution, and/or mailing services. Please email Karyn Olsen to discuss your needs.
Faculty and staff in need of business card should supply the following information:
Name (degrees if desired)
The Bloustein School does not have a photographer on staff; the majority of assignments are completed by freelance photographers through Professional Service Provider Agreements. The Bloustein School has an extremely limited capability to take photos for smaller activities or events in the Civic Square Building given advance notice; please email Karyn Olsen to find out if your event can be covered. A minimum of two weeks notice must be given. All assignments completed by freelance photographers or school staff become part of the Bloustein School photo archive, and may be used/shared for school promotional purposes.
Rutgers no longer uses its Professional Service Provider Agreement (PSPA). The preferred method of contracting service engagements is the issuance of a Rutgers Purchase Order, which incorporates the university’s procurement terms and conditions and includes the appropriate Statement of Work (SOW). Rutgers will consider executing a supplier’s contract to perform such services, but the Service Request should be submitted 60 days in advance of the proposed start date of the engagement to allow for contract review and execution.
For service engagements valued:
- Under $10,000. Any supplier may be selected, and a completed Independent Contractor or Employee Determination (ICED) form and Statement of Work (SOW) must be attached to the Service Request.
- $10,000 – $149,999. Multiple bids, proposals or quotes should be obtained, and a completed Informal Bid Intake Form, Independent Contractor or Employee Determination (ICED) form, and Statement of Work (SOW) must be attached to the Service Request.
- $150,000 or greater. A formal sourcing process must be executed (e.g., an RFP) prior to submitting a Service Request. Please submit an RFX Intake Form or contact University Procurement Services for assistance.
- $10,000 or greater that cannot be competitively sourced. A Waiver of Bid Request must be submitted along with a completed Independent Contractor or Employee Determination (ICED) form and Statement of Work (SOW).
University Communications and Marketing
Rutgers University has created the ACE Program— Access to Communications (and marketing) Experts—to assist univesity offices and department with easy access to suppliers who have master service agreements in place with the university and have been trained on Rutgers brand standards and on the university’s communications and procurement policies.
Through a thorough evaluation process, the university has established master service agreements with firms in the following service areas:
- Advertising Strategy/Media Buying
- Communications Messaging and Strategy
- Graphic Design
- Market and Audience Research
- Marketing Campaigns
- Marketing Writing/Editing
- Public Relations
- Website Design and Development
Please email Karyn Olsen to find out more information about these services.
Release Form for Photography and Recording
Rutgers University and the Bloustein School require that all external guests sign a release form in advance of any photos/videos being taken. The release form can be downloaded from the link below, or you can send your guest(s) the link to fill out the online form
EJB Fact Sheet—This is for use as a handout to visitors who want more information about the Bloustein School (updated Spring 2020)
Bloustein School Informational Brochure—(spring 2019). If you would like a paper copy of this tri-fold brochure, please contact Karyn Olsen
- Bloustein Folders—The school has a supply of Bloustein School folders that can be used for events. These are distributed by the Office of Student and Academic Services. Please contact Steve Weston to arrange for the number of folders you need.
- Other Bloustein items—The school has an extremely limited number of giveaway-type items. Some are free, some are not. Please stop by and see Karyn Olsen (CSB 384) or Marcia Hannigan (CSB 391) to discuss your needs.
Visual Identity (Logos)
Please contact Tamara Swedberg (email@example.com, 848-932-2947) or Karyn Olsen (firstname.lastname@example.org, 848-932-2814) if you have any questions about how to properly use the Rutgers-Bloustein signature. By accessing the Visual Identity page, you attest that you are a Bloustein affiliate and understand that modifying or misusing the materials violates Rutgers University’s visual identity policies.