Here you will find an array of virtual career and professional development events for the Spring 2021 semester. Some of these events are also open to undergraduate students and alumni and will be noted. Be sure to continue to check back, as new events, updates and registration links are added throughout the semester. You can also see and access these events by month by visiting the Student and Career Services Calendar.
If you have questions or would like a recording of these sessions, please contact career management specialists, Andrea Garrido (firstname.lastname@example.org) (MCRP, MPP/MPAP, MPI students) or Cheryl Egan (email@example.com) (MHA students).
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS
See below for a current listing of technical and career-related professional development workshops and events.
TECHNICAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS
Join Marcie Anszberger of CTAAR for live 90 minute Excel workshops and Rutgers University Libraries for live 90 minute R and Python workshops, geared to Bloustein students (coming soon!). Click the links to register and receive a Zoom access link. You can register up to the same day as the session. Email Andrea Garrido or Cheryl Egan for recordings. For both undergrad and graduate students.
1.29 @ 1:30-3 PM ET | Excel: Up to Speed
2.19 @ 1:30-3 PM ET | Excel: Visualizing Data
3.5 @ 1.30-3 PM ET | R graphics with ggplot2 | The ggplot2 package from the tidyverse provides extensive and flexible graphical capabilities within a consistent framework. This session introduces the main features of ggplot2. Some prior familiarity with R is assumed (packages, structure, syntax), but the workshop can be followed without this background. Supplemental materials available at https://libguides.rutgers.edu/data_R/. Instructor: Ryan Womack, University Libraries. REGISTER HERE
3.26 @ 1:30-3 PM ET | Excel: Fixing Data
CAREER-RELATED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS/EVENTS
In addition to the workshops/events listed below, please scroll down to the Virtual Lunch Hour Career Support Sessions for additional career-related workshops.
1.11 and 1.12 | Portfolio Design (a 2-part workshop) with Prof Juan Ayala and Alumni Christopher Riale
- PART I on 1.11 @ 11:00 AM ET | Portfolio Layouts: Learning InDesign | You will learn page layouts for portfolios, how to prepare a digital file, print a portfolio booklet, and publish your portfolio on social media | REGISTER HERE
- PART II on 1.12 @ 11:00 AM ET – Portfolio Review | On this second day you will learn to set up the most important graphics for your portfolio | REGISTER HERE
- Part III on 2.12 @ 2:00 PM ET | More information coming soon!
1.26 @ 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM ET |International Student Career & Internship Resources Information Session | Join your Bloustein student and academic services support staff- Andrea Garrido, Cheryl Egan and Courtney Culler – as well as our partners from RU Global – Jinling Quan, Bloustein liaison and Senior International Student Advisor – and RU CES (Career Exploration and Success) – Paola Puerta Dominguez, Career Development Specialist for International Students – to learn about the career and internship resources and services available at Bloustein and Rutgers University to support our international students. REGISTER HERE
2.16 @ 10:00 am – 11:30 AM ET |Get Hired: Top Job Search Strategies for International Students. This is a workshop offered through the Rutgers University’s Office of Career Exploration and Success and is open to all Rutgers University international students. REGISTER HERE
Week of 2.22.2021 | Mock Interviewing Clinic – sign up for a 25 min slot to practice your interviewing skills during a one week period in February (22nd through 26th) with one of our alumni or Bloustein employer partners from organizations including the WHO; Kimley-Horn; NJ Transit; JNT Healthcare Consulting; NJ Office of Legislative Services (NJOLS); US GAO and NYC EDC, among others. Get immediate professional feedback from an alumni working in the urban planning and policy and health administration fields. Space is limited and is on a first-come, first-serve basis. REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
2.26 @ 11:00 AM-12:00 PM ET | Paths to the AICP | Join APA practice leader, Felicia Braunstein who will hold a live Q&A session about any questions related to obtaining the AICP. To get the most out of this session, FIRST listen to this pre-recorded video presentation. REGISTER HERE
REAL DEAL SERIES – Join Andrea and Cheryl and special guests in a series of five (5) talks as with alumni across all sectors and jobs to learn the “real deal” about a variety of career related topics. Students will have the opportunity to ask questions at the end of each Real Deal event. You must register to attend.
- 2.4 | 4:30-5:30 pm ET | The Real Deal About Communicating & Building Your Personal Brand Through Storytelling with Stacy Lallier (MPAP), Director of Strategy & Governance, Johnson & Johnson | REGISTER HERE
- 2.19 | 12-1 pm ET | We are pleased to present Nicholas Masucci, former Chairman, President & CEO of Louis Berger and 2019 Bloustein Alumni of the Year to Bloustein’s Real Deal series of events. Over 40+ years, Mr Massuci worked principally for the Louis Berger company, an international engineering, science, and planning firm and VMS, Inc a firm he founded which was the first transportation asset management firm in the US along with a couple of brief stints in NJ government. Bloustein graduate student Jasmine Grossman will interview Mr. Masucci to learn about his career trajectory and hear his thoughts and career advice on several topics including navigating a challenging job market, climbing the ladder to a leadership role and the world of planning. | For undergraduate, graduate students and alumni| REGISTER HERE
- 3.4 | 4:30-5:30 pm ET | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace and in Your Career | Bloustein Career Services is pleased to welcome Paula Gutierrez, Director, Diversity and Inclusion at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, part of the RWJBarnabas Health System. Ms. Gutierrez is responsible for the Diversity & Inclusion strategy as well as for operational oversight of the Babs Siperstein PROUD Center, NJ’s first LGBTQ+ healthcare facility. Join this first-generation Hispanic female leader to hear about her own personal career story as well as her life’s work and passion for health equity for marginalized populations. Topics of discussion may include how one can assure that an organization is aligned with their values concerning equity, inclusion, and social justice; thoughts on integrating discussions of activism into the interview process; imposter syndrome and how one can remain an active and engaged change agent throughout their career. This event is co-sponsored by the Women’s Leadership Coalition (WLC) and is open to undergraduate, graduate students and alumni. | REGISTER HERE
- 4.8 | 4:30-5:30 pm ET | Alumni Experiences & Advice in Finding and Starting a Job in a Pandemic/During an Economic Downturn | The last year has been one like no other, especially when it comes to the job search and beginning jobs remotely. Hear the ‘real deal’ from some of our most recent policy, planning and health administration graduates to learn how their search went, what they are doing now and what they wish they new when they started out in this journey. This is an opportunity for you to hear the good, the bad and the ugly from your contemporaries to get advice and gain support in your own search. | REGISTER HERE
- 4.22| 4.30-5:30 pm ET |The Real Deal About Networking| Although some people may love it —namely, extroverts who thrive on social interaction—many see networking as exploitative or inauthentic and may want to completely avoid it. In today’s world, however, networking is a necessity. Research shows that professional networks lead to more job and business opportunities, broader and deeper knowledge, and even quicker career advancement. Building and nurturing professional relationships also increases job satisfaction. Join us and a special guest presenter (TBA) who will provide tips and strategies on the art of networking. Then practice networking in break out rooms. Who says networking can’t be done virtually?| REGISTER HERE
- TWO UN EVENTS: 4.23 and 5.24|12 PM – 1:30 PM ET | Mark your calendar for two (2) events, both hosted by the Austin W. Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, Baruch College and the NASPAA Employer Relations Committee. Join the UN recruitment team from UN General Headquarters for these events.
- 4.23 @ 12 PM-1:30 PM ET| Alumni/Experienced Candidates with 5 to 7 years+ Experience (NASPAA graduate students and alumni who are mid-career professionals) | Join a representative from UN’s Office of Human Resources (Diversity & Outreach Section), Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (others TBD) for an information session with recruitment representatives from the United Nations. Due to projected vacancies, the UN is conducting targeted outreach to qualified mid-career professionals with a minimum of 5 to 7+ years of experience in the following fields: Administration, Economic Affairs, Human Rights, Information Management and Technology, Public Information, Political Affairs, Social Affairs, Statistics. REGISTRATION LINK PROVIDED IN THE CAREER CORNER E-BLAST
- 5.24 @ 12-1:30 PM ET | Suitable for early/new professionals | Join a UN Representative who will discuss the Young Professionals Programme (YPP), internships and UN Entry Points for early career professionals. Stay tuned for more information and registration links.
VIRTUAL CAREER PANELS & TALKS
Hear from our amazing Bloustein alumni to gain practical advice and learn about careers in a variety of sectors, organizations and jobs in the urban planning and policy and healthcare administration realms. Each panel will provide participants with the opportunity to ask questions, gain more clarity and validation about careers, and become acquainted with our strong alumni network. Click below to register and receive a Zoom access link (More Coming Soon! Continue to check back).
2.2 @ 5:00-6:30 PM ET| Healthcare Alumni Networking Event | Co-sponsored with GSHL and FHA | Join us for a night of networking with RU Alumni in health administration professions! In this session, you will be able to build professional relationships with Alumni in a variety of healthcare sectors and organizations, learn about their career journey and ask questions! | Business Attire and Video Sharing Required | REGISTER HERE
2.12 @ 12 PM ET | Are You Ready to Serve in the New Administration? | Every president has the opportunity to fill almost 4,000 political appointee positions to help to carry out his or her agenda. Join this NASPAA Career Development Committee’s latest webinar, hosted by the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, Baruch College, to learn more about federal political appointment opportunities – from exploring job opportunities, and assessing if an appointment is right for you, to the vetting process complete with security checks and financial disclosures. Opportunities available for mid-career professionals in the career civil service will also be covered. Join speakers Jill Hyland, Senior Manager at the nonpartisan Partnership for Public Service and Leia Washington, Associate Manager at Partnership for Public Service from its Center for Presidential Transition will talk about resources available for your next career move and respond to your questions. REGISTER HERE
3.3 @ 4:30-5:30 PM ET | Young Professionals in Transportation Panel | Join six (6) professionals (including one of our very own MCRP alumni) who work in transportation at AECOM, STV, IBI Group, NYC Department of Transportation, HDR and the NYC Department of Environmental Protection and who e-board members of both the YPT Philadelphia and YPT NYC chapters of the Young Professionals in Transportation (YPT). This event offers an excellent opportunity to learn more about YPT and learn about the variety of jobs and professional paths within the private and public sectors in the transportation planning field. | REGISTER HERE
4.6 @ 5:00-6:00 PM ET | IQVIA Information Session | Learn about IQVIA through Bloustein alumna, Sanika Dighe, as she will be discussing the organization, her role as an Analyst and her current projects, as well as the hiring / interviewing process – including insights into IQVIA’s case study. | REGISTER HERE
4.14 @ 4:30-6:00 PM ET | Administrative Fellowship Boot Camp | Nathalie Occean, Chief Operating Officer at MedHaul and former Administrative Fellow at Medical University of South Carolina, will be conducting a presentation on fellowships – what you need to know and how to prepare for the application and interviewing process. Q & A to follow the presentation. | REGISTER HERE
4.16 @ 11:30 AM – 1 PM ET| Careers in Public Informatics/Data Analytics | Brought to you by Bloustein Careers, moderated by Professor Clint Andrews and co-sponsored by the Public Informatics Student Group (PISG). Hear from five (5) distinguished Bloustein alumni/professors and experts in the public informatics space, hailing from specialization areas which include urban analytics, public management and policy analytics, and health admin data analytics: Handi Chandra Putra(MCRP ’12; PhD ’17) Postdoctoral Researcher, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory; Stefania Davia (BS Public Health, ’11), Technical Officer, Data Monitoring, Analysis and Forecasting, World Health Organization (WHO); Simon Leipold (MPAP) Director, Deputy Chief of Staff, Microsoft; Bloustein’s Prof. Marc Pfeiffer, Senior Policy Fellow, Assistant Director of Rutgers University’s Bloustein Local Government Research Center and Principal, PfeifferGov LLC and Ai Yamanka(MCRP ’16) Data Analytics Program Manager, Port Authority of New York & New Jersey | REGISTER HERE
VIRTUAL Meet & Greet/Employer Networking Event MARCH 25, 2021
3.25 | 4:00 PM – 6 PM ET | Spring Meet & Greet Networking Event | Meet with alumni/employers in small groups in their individual Zoom breakout rooms to learn about their careers, organizations and possible internship and job opportunities. Rotate every 15 minutes into different rooms. Participating alumni/employers include: Sam Schwartz Consulting, Middlesex County Office of Planning; Lemor Development Group, Port Authority of NY & NJ, Conservation Law Foundation, Elijah’s Promise, WSP USA, U3 Advisors, New Jersey Community Development Corporation, The Pew Charitable Trusts – Philadelphia Research and Policy Initiative, Union County Department of Health & Human Services, Passaic County Department of Planning, US DOT VOLPE Center, Hackensack Meridian Health, IQVIA, and more!
REGISTER HERE – URBAN PLANNING AND PUBLIC POLICY
REGISTER HERE – HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
VIRTUAL CAREER GROUP SUPPORT SESSIONS
Join career management specialists, Andrea Garrido and Cheryl Egan on select Fridays at noon EST from January 22 – April 30 for live, small group career support sessions. These sessions will provide the opportunity for graduate students to introduce themselves, ask questions, have open discussions, stay accountable with their job/internship search, and gain valuable career advice on a variety of career-related topics. Register for each individual session below.
1.22 @ 12-1 PM EST | Resume Best Practices. Gain resume tips and then have the opportunity to share your resume with the group and get immediate feedback | REGISTER HERE
1.29 @ 12-1 PM EST | Job and Internship Search Strategies | REGISTER HERE
2.12 @ 12-1 PM EST | Interviewing Best Practices with guest presenter and professional recruiter, Julie Nutaitis| REGISTER HERE
3.5 @ 12-1 PM EST | Open Session/Check-in | REGISTER HERE
3.26 @ 12-1 PM EST | LinkedIn Best Practices | REGISTER HERE
4.23 @ 11 AM-12 PM EST | Salary Negotiation and Evaluating Job Offers | REGISTER HERE
4.30 @ 12-1 PM EST | Wrap-Up Session | REGISTER HERE
Post-Graduate Job Search Accountability Group
Join Cheryl and Andrea and special guests for five (5) live, small group career support sessions on select Wednesdays from 3-4 PM EST. These informal sessions are for recent graduates (and current students seeking internships, if interested) to check in, connect with their fellow students/new alumni and stay accountable with their job search. It also offers the opportunity to consult with Cheryl Egan and Andrea Garrido about a variety of career-related questions on topics including interviewing, salary negotiation, job search strategy, networking, resume/cover letters, LinkedIn, and many more.
5.19 @ 3-4 PM EST| REGISTER HERE
6.2 @ 3-4 PM EST | REGISTER HERE
6.16@ 3-4 PM EST | REGISTER HERE
7.7 @ 3-4 PM EST | REGISTER HERE
7.21 @ 3-4 PM EST | REGISTER HERE