Between Fall 2017 through Fall 2018 approximately 50 Rutgers Bloustein graduate and undergraduate planning students participated in a series of five studios addressing the proposed 2023 PATH station addition to the EWR airport in Newark, NJ. In February 2017 the Port Authority announced their approval of the $1.7 billion PATH extension to EWR as part of their $32 billion 10-year capital plan for 2017-2026. At the same time the Regional Plan Association (RPA) released their RPA’s Fourth Regional Plan for the New York-New Jersey- Connecticut region in late 2017 with recommendations for the regions’ transportation including the PATH connection to EWR.
The City of Newark Department of Planning and Zoning asked the Bloustein School graduate planning studio to begin the initial plans for the proposed PATH station location to serve Liberty International Airport (EWR). Several studios were included in the series including neighborhood plans for South Ward’s Dayton and Weequahic neighborhoods, a master plan for the airport and a corridor study of Frelinghuysen Avenue. Bloustein students were invited to present their product and future recommendations from the first four studios at the American Planning Association (APA) New York Metro Chapter May 2018 Annual Studio Showcase held at New York University.
Students presented at several public forums hosted in Newark and attended by residents and community leaders. NJIT and UPENN joined the effort with graduate studios in fall 2018 and spring 2019 to complete the seven studio series:
- Part 1. Rutgers, Newark at the Crossroads, Bloustein Fall 2017, Graduate Studio, Professor Barbara Faga | Presentation
- Part 2. Rutgers, Newark Aerotropolis, Bloustein Spring 2018, Graduate Studio, Professor Tony Nelessen
- Part 3. Rutgers, Dayton Neighborhood, Bloustein Spring 2018, Graduate Studio, Professor Barbara Faga
- Part 4. Rutgers, Weequahic Neighborhood, Bloustein Spring 2018, Undergraduate Studio, Professor Barbara Faga
- Part 5. Rutgers, Frelinghuysen Avenue Corridor Study, Fall 2018, Bloustein Graduate Studio, Professor Barbara Faga | Presentation
- Part 6. NJIT, NACA –Head-house, Fall 2018, Graduate Studio, Professor Darius Sollohub
- Part 7. UPENN, Airport City, Spring 2019, Graduate studio, Professor Marilyn Taylor