Associate Professor in Informatics
Ph.D., M.C.R.P., Georgia Institute of Technology; M.S. Civil & Environmental Engineering, M.S. in Computational Science & Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology; B.E., City & Regional Planning, Zhejiang University
- Room 367, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2802
- wenwen.zhang [at] ejb.rutgers.edu
urban land use and transportation interaction
innovative/disruptive transportation technology
data analytics and visualization in planning
Wenwen Zhang, Ph.D. joined the Bloustein School in August 2020. She received her Ph.D. from Georgia Tech’s School of City and Regional Planning in 2017. She also earned Masters in City and Regional Planning, Civil Engineering, and Computational Science & Engineering from Georgia Tech. Previously, she was a research assistant at the Center for Spatial Planning Analytics and Visualization (previously known as CGIS) for six years and an assistant professor of Urban Affairs and Planning at Virginia Tech for three years. Her research focuses on the social and policy impacts of emerging transportation technologies, such as automated vehicles, ride-hailing services, and micro-mobility, and leveraging data science and visualization techniques to address critical urban planning issues. She has published 16 journal articles, 15 conference proceedings, and one book chapter. She has served as a guest editor for Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment.
Complete Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- (2023) Public Views on the Reallocation of Street Space Due to COVID-19, Journal of the American Planning Association, DOI: 10.1080/01944363.2022.2058595
- 2022). Browsing for food: Will COVID-induced online grocery delivery persist? Regional Science Policy & Practice, 1– 17. https://doi.org/10.1111/rsp3.12542 , , & (
M. Demuzere, S. Hankey, G. Mills, W. Zhang, T. Lu, and B. Bechtell. (2020) Combining expert and crowd-sourced training data to map urban form and functionsfor the continental us. Scientific Data (in print)
K. Gupta, W. Zhang, and R. P. Hall. (2020) Risk priorities and their co-occurrences in smart city project implementation: Evidence from India’s smart cities mission. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science.
W. Zhang and K. Wang. (2020) Parking futures: Shared automated vehicles and parking demand reduction trajectories in Atlanta. Land Use Policy, 91:103963.
- Zhang, W., Wang, K., Wang, S., Jiang, Z., Mondschein, A., & Noland, R. B. (2020). Synthesizing neighborhood preferences for automated vehicles. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 120, 102774.
T. Lu, J. Lansing, W. Zhang, M. J. Bechle, and S. Hankey. (2019) Land use regression models for 60 volatile organic compounds: Comparing google point of interest (poi) and city permit data. Science of The Total Environment, 677:131– 141.
C. Feng and W. Zhang. (2019) Algorithms for the parametric analysis of metric, directional, and intersection reach. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science.
Wenwen Zhang, Subhrajit Guhathakurta. (2018) Residential Location Choice in the Era of Shared Autonomous Vehicles. Journal of Planning Education and Research PDF
- Wenwen Zhang, Caleb Robinson, Subhrajit Guhathakurta, Venu M Garikapati, Bistra Dilkina, Marilyn A Brown, Ram M Pendyala. (2018) Estimating Residential Energy Consumption in Metropolitan Areas: A Microsimulation Approach. Energy, 155, 162-173.
- Wenwen Zhang, Subhrajit Guhathakurta, Elias Khalil. (2018) The Impact of Private Autonomous Vehicles on Vehicle Ownership and Unoccupied VMT Generation. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 90, 156-165.
- Wenwen Zhang, Subhrajit Guhathakurta, Ram Pendyala, Venu Garikapati, Catherine Ross. (2017) A Generalizable Method for Estimating Household Energy by Neighborhoods in US Urban Regions. Energy Procedia, 143, 859-864.
- Wenwen Zhang, Subhrajit Guhathakurta. (2017) Parking Spaces in the Age of Shared Autonomous Vehicles: How Much Parking Will We Need and Where? Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2651, 81-90
- Garikapati, V.M., D. You, W. Zhang, R.M. Pendyala, S. Guhathakurta, M. Brown, and B. Dilkina. (2017) Estimating Household Travel Energy Consumption in Conjunction with a Travel Demand Forecasting Model.Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2668, 1-10.
- Ge Zhang, Wenwen Zhang, Subhrajit Guhathakurta, Nisha Botchwey. (2017) Development of a Community Planning Support System based on Open Data: Flow-based Planning Tool in the City of Atlanta. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science, 0, 1-19.
- Wenwen Zhang, Subhrajit Guhathakurta, Catherine Ross. (2016) Trends in Automobile Energy Use and GHG Emissions in Suburan and Inner City Neighborhoods: Lessons from Metropolitan Phoenix, USA. Energy Procedia, 88, 82-85.
- Wenwen Zhang, Subhrajit Guhathakurta, Jinqi Fang, Ge Zhang. (2015) Exploring the Impact of Shared Autonomous Vehicles on Urban Parking Demand: An Agent-Based Simulation Approach. Sustainable Cities and Society, 19, 34-35.
- How Should Planners be Trained to Handle Big Data. Steven P. French, Camille Barchers, Wenwen Zhang, Seeing Cities Through Big Data – Research, Methods and Applicaitons in Urban Informatics, 2015. PDF
Areas of Expertise: Computer simulation modeling, Energy, GIS, Informatics, Land Use, Statistical Research Methods, Survey Research, Transportation, Visualization