B.A., Columbia College; B.S., School of Engineering and Applied Sciences,Columbia University; S.M., Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Director, Center for Energy, Economic & Environmental Policy
Director, Rutgers Energy Institute
Director, Public Informatics Program
- Room 249, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2750
- Energy policy
- Restructured Electric Power Systems
Frank Felder is an expert in energy policy and electricity markets. His research and teaching interests include the reliability and economics of electricity markets, state energy policy, energy efficiency and renewable energy evaluation, and integrated energy modeling. He has been awarded numerous research grants by the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of the Interior, the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
Professor Felder has published in policy, engineering and economic journals including Energy Policy, The Electricity Journal, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Electric Power Systems Research, Utilities Policy, Proceedings of the IEEE, and The Energy Journal.
Professor Felder teaches undergraduate and graduate level courses in Energy Engineering, Economics and Policy; Energy Policy and Planning; and the Science, Technology and Policy of Climate Change. He has also taught short courses on electricity markets in Africa, Asia, Canada, Europe and the United States.
He holds doctoral and master degrees from MIT in Technology, Management and Policy and completed his undergraduate studies at Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Before joining the Bloustein School faculty, Professor Felder was an assistant professor of Management at the Manhattan College School of Business, an economic consultant, and a nuclear engineer in the U.S. Navy.
- Energy Sustainability and Policy
- Methods of Planning Analysis I
- Seminar Urban Planning
Chapters in Books or Monographs
- 2016: R. Athawale and F. Felder, “Efficiency and Equity Considerations in Designing Rates in the Context of the Death Spiral for Electric Utilities,” Utilities of the Future, F. Sioshansi (ed.), Elsevier Press, 2016.
- 2014: F. Felder, “What Future for the Grid Operator?” Distributed Generation and its Implications for the Utility Industry, F. Sioshansi (ed.), Elsevier Press, 2014.F. Felder, “The evolution of demand side management in the US” End of Electricity Demand Growth: How energy efficiently
can put an end to the need for more power plants, Fereidoon P. Sioshansi (ed.), Elsevier Press, 2013.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- 2019: Rodgers, M., Coit, D., Felder, F. & Carlton, A., Jun 1 2019. Assessing the effects of power grid expansion on human health externalities, In : Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. 66, p. 92-104 13 p.
- 2019: Baldwin, S. M. & Felder, F., Apr 1 2019. Residential energy supply market: Unmet promises and needed reforms, In : Electricity Journal. 32, 3, p. 31-38 8 p.2018: Figueroa-Candia, M., Felder, F. and Coit, D. (2018). Resiliency-Based Optimization of Restoration Policies for Electric Power Distribution Systems, Electric Power Systems Research, 161, 188-198.
- 2018: Rodgers, M. D., Coit, D., Felder, F. & Carlton, A., Dec 1 2018. Generation expansion planning considering health and societal damages – A simulation-based optimization approach, In : Energy. 164, p. 951-963 13 p.
- 2018: Figueroa-Candia*, M., Felder, F. and Coit, D. (2018). Resiliency-Based Optimization of Restoration Policies for Electric Power Distribution Systems, Electric Power Systems Research, 161, 188-198.
- 2018: Zhou, J., Huang, N., Coit, D. W., & Felder, F. A. (2018). Combined effects of load dynamics and dependence clusters on cascading failures in network systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 170, 116-126.
- 2018: Felder, F. and Athawale, R., 2017. “PACT-a-Mole”: the case against using the Program Administrator Test for energy efficiency programs. Energy Efficiency, 1-11.
- 2017: Shan, X., Felder, F., & Coit, D. (2017). Game-theoretic Model for Electric Distribution Reliability from a Multiple Stakeholder Perspective. IIE Transactions, 140, 401-412.
- 2016: S.Chandramowli*, F. Felder, N. Mantell, W. Irving, J. Seneca, “LP-CEM: A modeling tool for power systems planning incorporating climate change effects and macro-economic trends,” Energy Strategy Review, 11-12, pp.1-18.
- 2016: F. Felder, “Why Can’t We All Get Along?” A Conceptual Analysis Combined with a Case Study, Energy Policy, 96, 711-716.
- 2015: H. TekinerMogulkoc, D. Coit, and F. Felder, “MeanRisk Stochastic Electricity Generation Expansion Planning Problems with Demand Uncertainties considering ConditionalValueatRisk and Maximum Regret as Risk Measures,” International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 73 (2015), pp. 309317.
- 2015: C. Farkas, M. Moeller, F.A. Felder, K.R. Baker, M. Rodgers, and A. G. Carlton, “Temporalization of Peak Electric Generation PM Emissions during High Energy Demand Days,” Environmental Science & Technology, 49(7), 2015, pp. 46964704.
- 2015: A. Bridges, F. Felder, K. McKelvey and I. Niyogi, “Screening for Health Effects in Energy Planning,” Energy Research and
Social Science, 6, 2015, pp. 7477.
- 2014: R. Athawale and F. Felder, “Incentivizing Combined Heat and Power Plants: How to increase society benefits,” Utilities
Policy, (31), 2014, pp. 121132.
- 2014: S. Chandramowli and F. Felder, “Impact of Climate Change on Electricity Systems – A Review of Models and Forecasts,” Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Vol. 5, March 2014, pp. 62-74.
Published Conference Proceedings
- 2015: JongBae Park, YongGi Park, Frank A. Felder, Rasika Athawale, “Calculating the Energy Cost Savings of Battery Energy Storage System for Frequency Control of Bulk Power Systems”, International Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE 2015), Hong Kong, China, 59
July, 2015. (Paper No. ICEE15A016FP).
- 2014: F. Felder, “ISO Governance, ISO Principal-Agent Problem and Social Welfare,” Center for Research in Regulated Industries, 33rd Annual Eastern Conference, May 14-16, 2014 (paper and presentation).
- 2014: R. Athawale and F. Felder, “Incentivizing Combined Heat and Power Plants – How to Maximize Society Benefits?” 33rd Annual Eastern Conference, May 14-16, 2014 (paper and presentation).
- 2014: S. Li, D. Coit, S. Selcuklu, and F. Felder, “Electric Power Generation Expansion Planning Robust Optimization Considering Climate Change,” Proceedings of the 2014 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Y. Guan and H. Liao (eds), 2014.
- 2014: X.Shan, F. Felder, D. Coit, “Game-theoretic Model for Electric Distribution Reliability with Government Intervention,” CESUN 2014, June 8-11, 2014 (paper and presentation).
Articles in Non-refereed or General Journals
- 2017: Freed, M. & Felder, F. (2017). Non-energy benefits: Workhorse or unicorn of energy efficiency programs? The Electricity Journal, 30(1), 43-46.
- 2015: R. Athawale and F. Felder, “2015 Economic Forecasts New,” New Jersey Business, December 2014, pp. 46-47.
- 2015: J. Tortta, A Dressel, S. Agbre, D. Benevento, G Butrus, A. Chambers, T. DeVita, B. Edwards, N. Emery, F. Felder, J. Halpern, J. Herbert, J. Johnson, G. Jones, B. Richardson, D. Schmitt, S. Shah, S. Spina, “Report of the System Reliability & Planning Committee,” Energy Law Journal, Vol. 35, No. 2.
- 2015: F. Felder, “Climate Change Mitigation and the Global Energy System”, Villanova Environmental Law Journal, Vol. XXV, Issue 1.
- 2015: F. Felder, “Should Relief be Granted From the Clean Power Plan for Reliability Reasons?” The Electricity Journal, July 2015.
- 2014: F. Felder and R. Athawale, “The Life and Death of the Utility Death Spiral,” The Electricity Journal, Vol. 27, Issue 6, July 2014, pp. 9-16.
- 2014: S. Chandramowli and F. Felder, “Climate Change and Power Systems Planning – Opportunities and Challenges,” The Electricity Journal, Vol. 27, Issue 4, May 2014.
- 2014: F. Felder, “Climate Change Mitigation and the Global Energy System”, Villanova Environmental Law Journal, Vol. XXV, Issue 1.
- 2015: Jason Bank, Danling Cheng, David Costyk, Mark Leyo, Richard Seguin, Jeremy Woyak, Amrita Acharay-Menon, Steve Steffel, Rasika Athawale, and Frank Felder, Model-Based Integrated High Penetration Renewables Planning and Control Analysis,” Final Report, DOE SUNSHOT, DOE Award Number; DE-EE0006328, September 30, 2015.
- 2014: Center for Energy, Economic and Environmental Policy, Analyzing the Costs and Benefits of Electric Utility Hardening Efforts in Response to Severe Weather, Final Report to the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, November 30, 2014.
Selected Publications & Activities
- Video: Energy Efficiency & the Environment, September 2014, Caucus NJ, NJTV.
- “New Jersey After the Storm,” on NJTV’s Caucus New Jersey with Steve Audubato, November 3, 2013 (watch video, approx. 27 minutes) Last year, Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc on the East Coast. The storm caused $36.8 billion worth of damage and interrupted the lives of hundreds of thousands. NJ is still reeling from the effects. What progress has been made in the past year to rebuild and restore? The discussion covers changes put in place in anticipation of future storms, and the use of social media in these efforts.