Graduate Program | Urban Planning Joint Degree Program

Dual Degree with Rutgers Law School (MCRP/JD)

The Rutgers Law Schools at Camden and Newark and the Bloustein School offer a dual-degree program designed for students who are interested in law, politics, and public policy.

A four-year course of study, this program leads to the master of city and regional planning and Juris Doctor (MCRP/JD) degrees offered by the Bloustein School and the law schools at the Newark and Camden campuses of Rutgers. Two and a half years are spent at the law school and one and a half years in the planning program. Students are accepted independently for both graduate professional programs after separate application to each.

Students usually begin the program with the law school curriculum, completing two years of law school and one and a half years in urban planning before returning to a one-half year in law school. This plan requires students to apply to the urban planning and policy development program in January of their second year of law school.

Courses required during the time at the Bloustein School include urban economics, methods, history, and theory of planning, and studio coursework. The law school will transfer 12 credits for four required courses in the urban planning and policy development program toward the J.D. degree and the urban planning program will accept 12 from the law school.

Students are eligible for financial aid for the time they are in residence at the Bloustein School. Awarded on a competitive basis and according to a student’s needs, financial aid can include tuition, tuition, and stipends, or just a stipend.

To be considered for the dual-degree program, students must apply to the Bloustein School, urban planning and policy development program in New Brunswick and be accepted to the School of Law at Camden or Newark. Students should submit their full applications by January 15 (for financial support consideration). The Law School Admission Test (LSAT) will be accepted in place of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).

Apply to Our Programs