Ph.D., M.Phil. Economics, The New School for Social Research; M.S., Urban Policy Analysis and Management, Milano – The New School for International Affairs, Management and Urban Policy; B.A., Environmental Studies and Peace/Justice Studies, University of St. Thomas
- Room 550, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2386
- Applied microeconomics
- Socioeconomic and racial inequality
- Wealth and health disparities
- Demography and family connections
Jermaine Toney, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor at the Bloustein School. Prior to joining the Bloustein School faculty, he was a National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management at Cornell University. Currently, Professor Toney is a research fellow with the Institute for Behavioral and Household Finance at Cornell University.
Dr. Toney’s research focuses on finance, family, and health. An overarching focus of his research is the distribution and stratification of various socio-economic indicators, such as wealth, income, and education. His current work examines the transmission of socioeconomic status across generations, intergroup experiences in accessing credit and asset markets, analytic approaches to measuring the racial wealth gap, how disparities in health affect a household’s financial marketplace participation. Professor Toney previously taught in the Department of Economics at Queens College, City University of New York.
- Public Health Economics
- Spalter-Roth, Roberta, Jean Shin, Jermaine Toney, Kyle Moore, Ismael Cid-Martinez, Jason Smith, and Amber Kalb. “Raced Organizations and Academic Success.” 2019, April. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity, 5(2): 261-277. https://doi.org/10.1177/2332649218807951
- Spalter-Roth, Roberta, Jean Shin, Jermaine Toney, Kyle Moore, Ismael Cid-Martinez, Jason Smith, and Amber Kalb. “Who Climbs the Academic Ladder? Race and Gender Stratification in a World of Whiteness.” 2018, September. Review of Black Political Economy, 45(3): 216-244. https://doi.org/10.1177/0034644618813667