Nontraditional Students

What is Nontraditional Student Status?

As an undergraduate nontraditional student of the Edward J. Bloustein School, you will benefit from programs and services offered by Rutgers-New Brunswick, and designed specifically to complement and enrich your education.

The term “nontraditional” is used to identify students who have personal and professional demands on their lives that make it challenging to meet their academic goals.

At Rutgers-New Brunswick, a nontraditional student is defined as an undergraduate student enrolled in a degree-granting school and meets at least one of the following criteria:

  • has been out of HS for 4+ years at the time of first undergraduate registration;
  • has had at least a 2-year interruption in their undergraduate education;
  • is a veteran or active duty military service member;
  • is enrolled in a RUNB off-campus or on-line bachelor’s degree completion program;
  • is pursuing post-baccalaureate studies, primarily in undergraduate courses;
  • is a parent/pregnant or legal guardian
  • must take less than 12 credits due to significant non-academic commitments.*
  • is married or in a domestic partnership
  • is financially emancipated

In order to obtain nontraditional student (NTS) status, applicants for admission to Rutgers-New Brunswick should follow Enrollment Pathway.

*Significant non-academic commitments may include:  being self-supporting, having to work full-time (34 hours a week or more based on need), having financial dependents. Matriculated students whose circumstances change and wish to obtain nontraditional status should contact the Office of Transfer and Non-Traditional Students to initiate the application process.

The State of New Jersey has an agreement between community colleges and 4 year Universities to accept 60 credits and waive General Education requirements upon completion of an Associates of Arts or Associates of Science.

Comprehensive State-wide Transfer Agreement

Students need schedules that accommodate their busy lives. Online, hybrid, evening, weekend and accelerated courses can enable them to complete their degree.

Often, nontraditional students will need to use services and resources outside of traditional work hours. Advocating for more flexible hours of available services is essential to strengthening the support system student need to perform well academically and receive administrative assistance.

Academic Support at Rutgers

Academic support at the Bloustein School

Balancing the cost of housing and an undergraduate education is one of the principle challenges for nontraditional students. Rutgers students can live in on-campus family housing at a variety of locations including Johnson, Marvin, and Nichols Residence Halls. There are approximately 100 available units that accommodate families. There is an application process and if units fill-up, students will be placed on a waitlist. Off-campus housing is also available through our partnership with Places4Students.

Rutgers Housing


Douglass recognizes that mature women students require different kinds of support and guidance than traditional aged students. We encourage you to join the Bunting community of nontraditional women!

Bunting Program for Nontraditional Students

Student parents have increased obstacles to completing their undergraduate degree. We encourage you to explore the resources on the SWC website and connect with other parents facing similar challenges.

Students with Children

All students must complete the FAFSA application in order to receive Financial Aid from Rutgers.

Rutgers Office of Financial Aid

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

HESAA (Higher Education Student Assistance Authority)  Distributes the New Jersey Tuition Aid Grant (TAG)