Transferring from Outside of Rutgers (US and International)

Transfer Application

  • To Apply:  Students must submit an online application for external transfer through Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions.  The application deadline for a Fall/September admission is February 1 and for Spring/January admission is October 1.
  • Application Inquiries: Transfer applications to the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy are processed by Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions.  You should be able to find most information through Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions  including additional information for international applicants.  For questions about your application status or other issues related to the application process, please consult with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions directly.

Transfer Requirements

  • Students must complete the prerequisite courses for their desired program of study with grades of C or better, as well as, achieve a minimum 2.50 cumulative grade point average and at least 30 degree credits. 
  • If you are completing an associate’s degree from a New Jersey community college, 60 credits will be fully transferrable per the New Jersey State Wide Agreement.  An associate’s degree is not required for transfer, but highly recommended.

Transfer Preparation

  • Many students choose to take the prerequisite courses from a New Jersey Community College (NJCC) in order to meet the transfer requirements.  For course planning at a NJCC, students should refer to NJ Transfer for course equivalencies between the NJCCs and Rutgers-Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy.

Transfer Credits and Course Evaluation

  • Transfer Evaluation:  Official transfer credit evaluations will be completed after students have been admitted to Rutgers and have confirmed their intention to enroll.  After you accept admission and we receive your transcripts and supporting documents, we will begin the process of evaluating your credits.
  • Transfer Credits: The transfer evaluation is done course-by-course.  In general, credits are granted for courses taken at accredited colleges and universities if they are the equivalent of courses offered by Rutgers University and a grade of at least a “C” has been earned. Up to 60 degree credits can transfer from community college. Up to 90 degree credits can transfer from another four year college or university. The maximum combined number of transfer credits is 90.
  • Transferring from NJCCs: Students should refer to NJ Transfer for course equivalencies between a NJ Community College (NJCC) and Rutgers – Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy. In order to waive the school’s general education requirements when coming from a NJCC, students should consider completing an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree per the state-wide agreement.


Newly Admitted? Congratulations!

After you accept the offer of admission online via Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions indicating you will be attending the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy and send in your deposit, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will send your file and transcripts to University College for an official transfer credit evaluation.

For more information on what to do next, view the First Things First checklist here and visit your Enrollment Pathway.


Advising Appointments

When admitted, you will receive a letter informing you of your assigned advisor and the scheduled Academic Planning and Advising sessions where you will meet with advisors to discuss your program and to choose your first-semester courses. You can RSVP for your session here.

Prospective students are encouraged to attend one of the information sessions to gain knowledge about programs offerings and admissions.

For transfer related questions: